Friday 13 June 2008

Mistaken Rib

My bicycle is broken. :(

Last night as I cycled home, it started spontaneously changing gears all by itself. Then when I did change gear, it didn't. There were wierd clicking noises from the back wheel and when I got off to look, the chain placement didn't match the gear I should have been in. I think it was the spontaneous gear changing that was most worrying as it wasn't a smooth transition, more a sort of great jolt which nearly threw me off the bike. The gear transition has always been a bit ropey, but this having a mind of its own is something else entirely!

I've handed the bike over to Dave to take to the bike shop and naturally, today I drove to work.

Ironically, I don't have a lot of petrol in the car just as there are some strikes effecting the delivery of petrol to forecourts... The fuel gauge has been low for a week or so, but since my car use has dropped considerably over the past few weeks I'd been eeking it out. Tonight I shall endeavour to buy fuel... I just hope no one is panic buying out there!

I finally got around to sewing the button on my first attempt at a waistcoat and I now declare it finished.
For those who need to know these things, this is the Simple Mistake Rib Waistcoat (that's a Ravelry Link), taken from 101 Designer One Skein Wonders. I knitted it up in the smallest size to fit a 34" chest (i.e. me, I am ickle) out of James C. Brett's Marble in DK.
Having added a crochet border and given it a light pressing with a cool iron I've decided it does fit after all. The waistcoat has a lot of negative ease and I think it is supposed to sit like this. Having looked at it in the mirror, it looks 'right'. Not exactly what I was expecting, but certainly wearable and it may grow on me come the cooler weather when I start wearing it.

I'm still pleased with the seams on this and I like the way the crochet border gave it some shape, adding stability to the whole thing. If I make it again, I'll either make it in a larger size or add a few stitches at the front to reduce the negative ease just a little. All in all, I'm pleased and glad I made it.

Now, in response to those who said I'd never posted pictures demonstrating my cat's love of paper bags I refer you back to this entry. See? Completely mad for them!

And to prove the cats still enjoy their paper bags and take turns* sitting on them, here are the cats yesterday, pictured seperately.

* NB Taking turns meaning they squabble and chase each other off the paper bags if one catches the other on them; as sitting on them or playing with them is a very desirable thing indeed.

And finally...

Another week has gone by in a blink of an eye and the weekend is upon us once more. Tomorrow (Saturday 14th June) is World Wide Knitting In Public Day and we will be having a picnic in the War Memorial Park, Coventry. Knitters and crocheters are welcome, along with their significant others, hangers on and children. Just bring a dish to add to the picnic and something to sit on as well as your knitting/crochet (of course).

If the weather behaves itself we should have a good day. :)

(As always, click on the images to see bigger versions...)

4 comments:

  1. sorry. I must've missed that earlier post somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are panic buying fuel near us, Asda is only selling diesel and queues are forming at others, I still have full tank so will be fine for a couple of weeks well past the strike.

    The bike thing just sounds like a cable adjustment, I hope, but I'm no expert.

    Waist coat looks good, and so do Charlie and Missy, how did you knit them :)

    Have a good World wide knitting day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bike is now fixed. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad bike is fixed.
    Wish I'd have read about the knitting day earlier, sigh.
    Love the waistcoat :-)

    ReplyDelete