In my wanderings through the interwebs, I came across many crafty things and started cataloguing them over on Pinterest for anyone who may wish to take a look.
In particular I came across this suggestion for a Valentine's Card on Sunhats & Wellie Boots (which I highly recommend), using a simple template to stencil a design in relief onto a card.
It caught my eye, I pinned it and then I set about gathering my supplies.
- Some scrap paper
- ELC Easy Painters
- One small child
- An arts apron/bib for small child
- A mummy or other suitable adult to assist
- White tack or similar temporary sticky substance
- Glue stick
- Lots of newspaper
I started by covering out kitchen table with a newspaper, something M immediately recognised from our earlier trial run a week or so ago with the easy painters. Excitement filled the kitchen as she loudly declared "PAINTING! PAINTING!" and tried to climb into her booster seat. I helped her up, strapped her apron (which most definitely is NOT a bib) on and handed her the easy painters along with some sacrificial paper while I carried on preparing stencils and cards.
The ELC easy painters are an interesting idea, they're bottles of premixed and watery paint with a sponge applicator. They need shaking vigourously to mix the paint before working with them, but that's about it. The sponge applicator means the paint pretty much stays inside the bottle until applied to something; if dropped onto the floor with enough force there will be a little splatter but only a few drops which are easy to clean up. The first time I showed these to M she was a little hesitant but quickly got the idea.
On this occasion, M got to work enthusiastically, happily decorating the newspaper covering the table and occasionally aiming at the sacrificial paper.
In the meantime, I cut out two heart templates and stuck them to the front of some folded card using some white tack. Once prepared M and I got to work spotting paint onto the cards.
There was a brief moment when M considered ripping the heart template off the card but she decided painting them was more fun once she saw me having a go as well. At that point M got stuck in, happily painting her card and even working on the inside. I gave her the heart innards which she decorated as well, and even took my card to add her touch to it, thoroughly enjoying herself in the process.
A short while later we had painted valentines cards which I duly rescued as M declared she was finished with the paints and moved onto crayons.
|One of the cards just after it had been painted and before drying - you can see the heart template still in place and covered in paint|
|One of the heart shape cutouts which M very prettily painted - I think this one looks a bit like flowers!|
We put the cards aside for a couple of hours to dry and then carefully peeled off the hearts. I decided to use the painted template and the innards on the inside of the cards which I thought was very effective.
And this one is M's, entirely her own work except for the cutting and sticking bits.
|M's card, I love the way she deliberately placed the colours|
|M chose to add paint to the inside of her card too|
Not too bad for our first go at a 'structured' activity, as opposed to just letting M loose with her creative side and a piece of paper.
|M deep in thought choosing which colour to add next|