This is not a trait that endears sun hats to M, so we had to fix it.
After much discussion and research on the internet to show M what I had in mind, we settled on the idea of adding a chin cord with a button to slide up and down.
I got out some sample lucet cord, showing M how threading it through a button would allow it to slide but grip. I found suitable ribbon and buttons (much to M's disappointment as she was hoping to visit the local yarn shop), but couldn't find my normal lucet to make the cord. I ended up having to use a fall back lucet from my collection, which is not as comfortable in my hand as the one I prefer. It took a while to get a reasonable tension...
|Lucet cord starting to take shape.|
A day or so later I cut ribbon and sewed it in place on each side of the hat brim's underside to form loops. I threaded a suitable button onto the cord and tied it in place.
|One cord, button and some ribbon later...|
|We have a chin cord.|